Carmen Wong Ulrich, Russ Michell, and Rebecca Jarvis at CBS News discussed the traits that successful businesspersons have in common. They include:
- Stay “hungry” for success, creativity, and learning. Being curious and striving to acquire new knowledge and skills are very important.
- Maintain a positive attitude. Do you know that people will lose 10% of productivity in a day if they do not have the positive attitude?
- Pick your battles. Be effective. Ask yourself what you can accomplish after doing this or that. One must demonstrate his/her accomplishments at work.
- Less screen time and more face time. Networking takes place beyond social networking sites. It is important to sit down with someone for a face to face conversation. I, myself, use social media a lot, but I cannot agree more on this point. The truth is I will never get to know a person or a co-worker unless I spend time drinking coffee, having lunch/dinner, or working with this person.
- Career 24/7. Join affiliated groups and connect with the members. Networking can take place everywhere and every minute.
- Move forward every day. I believe that a big accomplishment can come from a stack of many small accomplishments.
- Focus, focus, and focus. There are so many distractions at work. Focus = productivity.
What contributes to a successful career? Do you have what it takes to succeed in your field?